Total Pageviews

Greetings!

'A gaping silken dragon,/Puffed by the wind, suffices us for God./We, not the City, are the Empire's soul:/A rotten tree lives only in its rind.'

Thursday 18 October 2012

Beginnings...

Having enjoyed building Trumpeter's 'Ferdinand' recently - fiddly running gear notwithstanding - I thought that I could use the kit as the basis for a simple conversion to the upgraded 'Elephant'. All I would need would be a Stug commander's coupla, and a bit of scratch building for a hull mg. A decent fellow (a reader of this blog, and famed for his own be-Shako'd blog) immediately promised me an Airfix Stug III. Excellent! So, onto Hannant's website I went to order another Ferdinand, only to discover that part of my head clearly still lives in the 1970s, when conversion was the order of the day, and kit releases like Airfix's Panzer IV, or Matchbox's Pz IIIJ were greeted with delirium as being the basis of endless other chariots of war, 20mm size. For, of course, not content with the Ferdinand, Trumpeter also makes:


Which arrived today, by first post ... at 5:00pm (uh? What has happened to the world !). However, the Stug and its coupla started a train of thought that led to another viewing of Hannant's e-emporium, and the order of more boxes of bits of plastic and a new project ....   Now, all I have to do is wait for the postie...



6 comments:

  1. Don't forget about the larger scale too.Those Austro-Hungariansof yours are crying out for some chums...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooooo! Stop it! I'm trying to FOCUS for once in my featherbrained life!

      Delete
  2. I remember when ESCI released this baby and I got one, what a pain on the backside it was to build. The artwork looks like the ESCI kit, I wonder if it is the same one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has very fiddly, unnecessarily fiddly, running gear. I don't know if it is an Esci re-release, but, now you've mentioned it, it does has the same thick plastic. I wonder. The artwork is pretty mediocre - too static somehow.

      Delete