Total Pageviews

Greetings!

'A gaping silken dragon,/Puffed by the wind, suffices us for God./We, not the City, are the Empire's soul:/A rotten tree lives only in its rind.'

Saturday 24 November 2012

Upper Canada...

... and points south. From the birch forests of the Eastern Front 1943/4, to the eighteenth century and the pine forests of Upper Canada:


Loyalists march out. A foraging party, or perhaps a patrol on the watch for rebels heading for Quebec. And the magnificent block house from which they sally forth? Here it is in its laser cut MDF glory:


It's made by '4Ground', and I was alerted to it by another blog, which I can't find now (too many on my favourites list!). This is the first MDF kit that I've made, and what a joy it was to put together. I would have found making a blockhouse like this a major project, but in a couple of hours I had this ready for the table:


Not only did it go together remarkably well, but it is pre-coloured, and, given that the hardest effect to get right is wood, that is a great bonus. Further, as you can see, the internal walls are also finished properly:


And details, such as ladders, are included.


This is, all in all, a first class bit of wargames kit, and I heartily recommend it to those good servants of the King who wish to fight off the Frenchie and his over-enthusiastic allies, or the dam' rebels, or even the Yankee of 1812.

And, just to make my toy soldier day perfect, I bought yet another Osprey by the prolific and highly esteemed Rene Chartrand:


Vive le Roi!

6 comments:

  1. They are particularly lovely. Sadly they have not yet made the jump to 1/72, but I am told that there may be steps in that direction before too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a first rate bit of kit - best thing I've come across in a long while. Perhaps you should e-mail them to ask if they could do 1/72 ?

      Delete
  2. Very nice piece of kit. Has very much the look of the real thing. Hard to believe there are still wooden originals around after 250 years but there are a few as well as all those recreated ones. Looks big enough for me to get away with one to use with my 40's. Something to think about. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting bit of information! I had assumed that the photos I had seen were all recreations. That's marvellous, and I would expect that wood preservation technology is up to keeping them in being for a long time to come. As for working with your 40s - yes, it is a big piece of kit (although with a small 'footprint'), and you'd probably get single figures inside (especially kneeling), but it would be best not to have them too close outside. Nonetheless, a very fine bit of scenery. Recommended!

      Delete
  3. The Blockhouse is terrific ! have you thought of picking up muskets and tomahawks the excellent skirmish rules from studio tomahawk.I got them some time back and they are a delight to read and will give you a splendid game...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like a kid at Christmas when I was building it! Ah, not more rules .... I need to get playing again!

      Delete