Total Pageviews

Greetings!

'A gaping silken dragon,/Puffed by the wind, suffices us for God./We, not the City, are the Empire's soul:/A rotten tree lives only in its rind.'

Monday 26 November 2012

Liebster frenzy...

As many of you will be well aware, the toy soldier blogosphere is alive with the sound of congratulatory applause (as in the Oscars, only genuine). This blog has been very kindly nominated by two highly esteemed veteran bloggers - Paul of Plastic Warriors, and The Duke of Tradgardland. My thanks, chaps! Very decent of you!

And now, it's my turn to nominate five for:


Actually, it is an almost impossible task. I have a list of 'favourites' almost as long as my arm (and I have fairly long arms). I've been struggling with this all day. Agony! So, my five are:

Castles of Tin: for sheer, breath-taking painting skill, and mastery of the very difficult art of effective painting of flats. Steve is simply a genius.

Battle Game of the Month: Ross Mac's blog puts him into the class of an Elder of Our Tribe. It is toy soldiering at its finest - a great combination of history and imagination, of 40mm and old Airfix ACW, of gridded and ungridded, and an amazing ability to apply the fiendish art of 'thesis, antithesis, synthesis' to war game rules.

Plastic Warriors: One word - INSPIRATION. Paul combines a German capacity to put almost any broken bit of kit back on the battlefield in working order, with a Soviet capacity to produce on a Stakhanovite scale. His mastery of the refurb, and his penchant for old style Airfix and Matchbox, has made me look again at the broken bits of kit washing around in old shoe boxes and to see them once again as potential game-winners. (Mind you, Plastic Warriors only just squeaks into the Liebster as I see that it now has 199 followers!).

The Duchy of Tradgardland: A strange symmetry is at work here, as His Grace and I have many things in common - Span-Am, the Eighteenth Century, teaching (although I am a former School Master), Tolkein, Denmark (I've never met any other Briton who has been to the place, although plenty of us carry genes from it), and we passed, as small scale pre-dreadnought ships in the night, when we were undergraduate contemporaries at the University of Edinburgh. But there is more to the Duchy than this, and His Grace's commitment to the cause of the Imagination is alone worthy of a Liebster.

Pagina di Giano: Giano's blog is a plastic tanky's paradise, and I am a particular fan of his 'family photo' approach to AFVs - a unique way of presenting armour in plastic. Top banana!

11 comments:

  1. Congratualtions there Al well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, old chap! Rather chuffed, I must say.

      Delete
  2. Nice one Stephen. Inspiration? I must tell the wife this one!

    Cheers mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And tell her that I'm a doctor, so I know what I'm talking about ... (sort of!)...

      Delete
    2. I believe she will find that even funnier Stephen.

      Delete
    3. Don't tell her it is a history doctorate then!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your nomination! I don't think I really deserve it, I'm not putting as much effort in my blog as other fellow bloggers. Said that, I really appreciate your kindness.
    But now I've the difficult task to tag some other blog - and no tag back is allowed I see... really a hard choice, judging by the good amount of great blogs out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giano - I like your blog, and your approach to it. Keep blogging ! Keep kit bashing !

      Delete
  4. Well deserved! You were actually on my short list so glad that others stepped up. Good choices, 2 of them new to me. The 2nd one sounded promising until I realized it was me. These things look different on the other side,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Ross. I'm glad that you liked the sound of your own blog!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete