Total Pageviews

Greetings!

'A gaping silken dragon,/Puffed by the wind, suffices us for God./We, not the City, are the Empire's soul:/A rotten tree lives only in its rind.'

Thursday 10 June 2021

Real...

 Old School.

After my recent brush with the Bad Mahdi, I thought I 'needed' some more Jacklex 20mm figures. I love the little chaps, they have a real air of bravado, élan even, captured in their tiny tin and lead frames. I'm pretty sure that the last time I bought Jacklex figures, they were from Spencer Smith. However, as this was some years ago, I may be wrong. This time when I searched for Jacklex, I discovered they had migrated to a rather fine site, called, not surprisingly, Jacklex Miniatures. The worthy tin men are in the hands of a fine recruiting sergeant, Mr Mark Lodge, who has mastered the Old School approach, not least by sending one's reinforcements like this:


Packed in very nice little cardboard boxes and, joy, sawdust!  Just emptying out the box took me back nearly 50 years, to the early 1970s. A poor grammar school boy was I, with little disposable income, but influenced by George Gush's famous Airfix Magazine series, 'Renaissance Warfare', I bought a few Polish winged hussars (those saviours of Vienna and Europe) from Minifigs. The sawdust they arrived in has long gone, but not the box:


Just look at that. Instant time travel thanks to a cardboard box, some sawdust, and some tin men.

5 comments:

  1. So *that* was why there was a pile of sawdust on the dining room table! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing the new recruits painted up. Sawdust as instant basing material? I found some Elastolin boxes in the shed the other day. Battered but I couldn’t bear to bin them. Minifigs boxes and Hinchcliffe too were a delight as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a wonderful thing.

    Winged Hussars? Having been a longtime fan of With Fire & Sword, Minifig Winged Hussars were amongst my earliest metal 25's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.
    មាន់ជល់អនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work.
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    កីឡាបាល់ទាត់​ អនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete