Total Pageviews

Greetings!

'A gaping silken dragon,/Puffed by the wind, suffices us for God./We, not the City, are the Empire's soul:/A rotten tree lives only in its rind.'

Wednesday 3 July 2013

42s...

... a small amount of actual work on the Irregular Miniatures' 42mm ACW figures tonight. I cleaned them up, based them (my other 42s are not based, and were affected by the domino effect during the Rattle of Dice playtest), and undercoated them. Then I turned my thoughts to Zouave uniforms:


First stop was the rather fun card game 'First Bull Run'. I managed to collect almost all of the cards in the early 1990s, and as well as providing a very effective game the cards also provide uniform references for all the units at First Bull Run/Manassas. I'd be surprised if they really manage to do that, but it was a brave effort at the least. Anyway, nothing really stood out there, so I turned to an old favourite:


Philip Haythornthwaite's book provided me with colour details for my several hundred 15mm ACW figures back in the mid and late 1980s, before the interwebtron brought instant answers. But nothing stood out there either, so it was over to:


Robin Smith's two volume uniforms of the ACW, from Brassey's. Both books are packed with the most fascinating period photographs, largely portrait photographs taken at the beginning of the war. There is a wealth of meaning in them, they are quite remarkable. But that still doesn't answer my Zouave colours - I think it's imagi-nation time.

8 comments:

  1. My favourite Zouave style uniform is the Turco look in light blue, esp with white pantaloons. One day I'll do the West Indies uniform though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross, are you a mind reader? The Turco look was the decision I came to this morning while brushing m'teeth!

      Delete
  2. Philip Haythornthwaite's Uniforms of Waterloo has sat proudly in my bookcase since 1974. I see it was purchased for the princely sum of AUD 7.25. It's still a lovely little tome.

    Cheers, Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Batsford series were just the ticket - the Great War one is another excellent reference.

      Delete
  3. This is probably because at some point or other, and in either 15 or 42mm, you have painted every US and CS zouave unit ever. Twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pink. You want lots of pink in the uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. El Tin, you've clearly been badly affected by too much of that swing thing; I've read that it can have the same effect on the brain as heavy metal. Actualy, I think a bit of Republican purple will be needed.

      Delete