Total Pageviews

Greetings!

'A gaping silken dragon,/Puffed by the wind, suffices us for God./We, not the City, are the Empire's soul:/A rotten tree lives only in its rind.'

Wednesday 18 April 2012

Air minded

Having greatly enjoyed the Duke of Tradgardland's reading recommendation in the shape of John Biggins' A Sailor of Austria, I ordered another in the Prohaska series of novels:


which I received today from the ever-reliable 'Warwick Books' - thanks, Keith! The cover on the McBooks Press, Inc., editions of Biggins' novels are very evocative, and look pretty accurate to boot. Oddly, The Two-Headed Eagle, in which Prohaska takes to the air, leaving his KuK U boat behind (see A Sailor of Austria for the reason why), has one of those irritating review 'soundbites' which informs one that the novel is 'hilarious'. I often wonder about reviewers' senses of humour - the first in the series seemed to me to be serious and poignant, with the humour being incidental. Anyway, I'm looking forward to starting on this one. My thanks again, Your Grace, for the recommendation.

The day began with Prohaska in the air, and quickly moved on to my noticing that the famous Kiwi master of the refurb is leading on a build a 1/72 Hawker 'weather' aircraft project - see details here. I was pretty sure that I had a couple of Hurricanes in the loft, and I do! So, I'll be asking to take part. Here's the kit - an Academy 1/72 Hurricane Mk.IIc:


And here's another Hawker product I made a couple of years ago, a Matchbox Hawker Fury converted (slightly - new undercarriage and exhausts) to one of the Spanish Republic's three Hispano Furies:


1930s elegance at its height.

2 comments:

  1. Great to have you on board, mate!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! It's a cracking idea - especially as Hawkers made such terrific aircraft.

      Delete