Total Pageviews

Greetings!

'A gaping silken dragon,/Puffed by the wind, suffices us for God./We, not the City, are the Empire's soul:/A rotten tree lives only in its rind.'

Friday 13 April 2012

Refurb...

... not, as I writ before 'refirb'. I apologise. The refurb has begun:

Firstly, two of the Grants, running gear off, tracks off, de-hatched, old sandshields (made out of the bubble plastic that used to contain series 1 Airfix kits in the early 1970s, and a very poor substitute for plasticard - ersatz at its worse) binned.

Sanded down to reduce the rather prominent rivets and smooth out the odd globit of tube cement (all I had then. All there was, I think), running gear superglued back on.

First coat of Humbrol 93 on the hulls and running gear, and Humbrol 119 (rust) on the very shiny tracks. Interestingly, the vinyl tracks are in very good condition after nearly 40 years, and I suspect that is partially due to the thick coat of gloss silver (Humbrol 11?) with a touch of white. The Matilda is also Airfix with a Britannia commander, and the Dingo (a favourite vehicle) is Minimi Miniatures. Next stage, new sandshields.

4 comments:

  1. Great effort and idea.I will be most interested to see the completed refurb work.
    Can I ask if you are doing this for the joy of the experience or the start of building towards desert warfare upon the tabletop?
    The Grant book "Battle Practical Wargaming" is going to be republished by Caliver this year with additional material. Charles M Grant had an interesting article about using the rules in the 2012 Wargamers Annual.
    I did 1/300 desert stuff many moons ago but gave it away as my 2pdrs could'nt hit a thing.
    I regret ( although it was necessary for downsizing at the time)getting rid of my 20mm Raventhorpe stuff for the British in Somaliand campaign. I had Italians in colonial uniforms,Somaliland Camel Corps and other arcane delights- would love to do it again. Even wrote a 2 A4 set of dedicated simple rules.
    Finally a practical question -how do you manage to leave a commen tbeside each comment on your blog? I can't seem to find the thingy jiggy to let me do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left a longish comment here - it has not appearde this is a trial ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Grace! I was going to say that I am refurbing for, as you put it, 'the joy of the experience', but that was before today's fiddling about! Still, it is for the thing itself, not a new campaign. You seem to be remarkable in your getting rid of loyal men and decent equipment - I find that an almost impossible thing to do. Imagine getting rid of 20mm Raventhorpe chaps!! I am in shock!
    On the practical question, on my blogging screen I have the option of 'Reply' or 'Delete' beneath each comment that is posted. However, I am well aware of how temperamental all this e-thingy stuff is, so perhaps that option is not there for you?

    ReplyDelete